This course is run over two consecutive days and combines the introduction to free range pig farming and the Advance Handling course.
There will be a full day of discussion and pig handling demonstrations along with a farm tour to discuss issues such as fencing, water, housing, feeding, farrowing, land management and much more.
We will also cover legal requirements for owning and selling pigs and marketing options should you decide free range pig farming is for you.
A workshop notebook will be provided say you wont forget any of the important issues addressed on the day.
A certificate 'Free Range Pig Management and Handling' is issued by Humane Farm Management on satisfactory completion of this course should you wish to complete all assessment tasks.
You can opt to just attend the days without committing to any examinations but you will not receive a certificate.
Lunch will be provided and will feature pasture raised free range pork. Morning and afternoon tea also included. (let us know of any special dietary requirements well before the event)
As well as learning about starting up a free range farm, on completion of this course you will be competent to:
Comply with Industry Animal Welfare Requirements:
- · Apply animal welfare practices
- · Comply with standard operating procedures
- · Report problems that affect animal welfare
Care For Health and Welfare of Pigs:
- · Monitor and assess livestock health and welfare
- · Provide an optimal environment for livestock
- · Establish and maintain housing hygiene
- · Administer medication to livestock
- · Remove non-viable livestock
- · Keep and maintain records
Administer Medications to Animals
- · Prepare to administer medication
- · Administer medicine
- · Complete administration activities
Move and Handle Pigs
- · Control and direct pigs
- · Restrain pigs
- · Weigh/Condition score pigs
Registration is not confirmed until payment is received. All bookings must be paid for 7 days prior to the event to ensure your place.
Early cancellations will incur an administration fee of $50 per attendee.
Cancellations within 7 days of the event will incur a fee of 50% of the event cost per attendee.
Transfer to another event will not incur any cost.